[MEncoder-users] "High Quality" H.264 at low bit rates ;)

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) microchip at telenet.be
Mon Mar 3 12:57:42 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 12:51, Gunter Ohrner wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> >> Mh... Do you reduce the video resolution? (I don't.)
> >
> > me neither, I just crop it and I hardly ever go above 1150 kbps, I've
> > done encodes @ 950 kbps @ full resolution and they look really good
>
> What PSNR and SSIM results should I be able to expect with 2 MBit?
>
> Can anyone of you provide some values to compare?

PSNR/SSIM highly depends on the source/bitrate/resolution so you can't compare
a source that easily with two or more different sources

@ cropped standard resolution and bitrate of 1020 kbps, i usually get SSIM
between 0.976 and 0.986 but again this highly depends on the source and the
x264 settings you use

> Greetings,
>
>   Gunter

Regards