[MEncoder-users] How to produce VCD\DVD content from a raw AVI video ?

Ross Clement rossclement at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 08:41:41 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Ken Murray <kmurray at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Akin Ocal <akin_ocal at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello ,
> >
> > How can I achieve this , can you send me parameters for this ?
>
> A simple browse of the documentation brings up
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html

One thing I found confusing about that page was that it only really mentions
the expand filter in passing. The complete examples of creating DVDs down
the bottom only use scale. This means that if your original videos are not
in the correct (e.g. for PAL) ratio 720x576, then the picture will get
pulled out of shape. Nowdays when I'm using video that's not already in the
720x576 *ratio*, I use a combination of scale and expand. For example, if I
want videos from my "still" camera (640x480) to become DVD sized, I first
scale to 720x480 and then expand to 720x576, effectively making the video
slightly widescreen-ish. Though, as my DVD player doesn't show all of the
720x576 screen anyhow, I sometimes scale less (or not at all), and expand
more. This is only for "home videos", and hence "perfection" is not
required.