[MEncoder-users] Encodes for slow laptop

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Sun Jun 15 09:01:39 CEST 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Stella-Terra Clemens wrote:

> Ok, I took your code and tried it out.  Unfortunately, it had the exact
> same results (every movie but the matrix has a 200 ms audio delay.)

I don't suppose you're seeing a message like "A-V delay set to..." at the
start of the mencoder run?  I've found that at least some versions have
the irritating habit of (somewhat unpredictably) setting a soft delay,
which gets lost when the video is extracted.  Does the AVI file play okay?

Also, with recent mkvtools, the video extraction step seems unnecessary,
and creates extra work for you (i.e. specifying the framerate).  That
doesn't really help you with the sync issue, though.

> Maybe I simply need to mux every video with a 200 ms audio delay.  That
> doesn't seem right, though.  Any ideas?

IMO, ripping DVDs is often more akin to an art than a science (this is
particularly true with nasty NTSC discs).  If there's any way to get
consistently good results without occasional manual intervention, I
haven't found it.

I usually encode films with -oac copy (mainly because of interlaced bursts
from dodgy NTSC edits, which cause desyncs even with pullup, but also to
deal with timestamp wierdness), throw out the audio and sync by hand.