[MEncoder-users] x264 Color Banding

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 15 06:28:51 CEST 2008

What x264 encoding setting can I use to reduce or eliminate some subtle
color banding I am seeing in my output? Here are my current settings:

-x264encopts
qp=17:bframes=4:partitions=all:me=umh:nocabac:nofast_pskip:nodct_decimate:frameref=6:subq=6:mixed_refs:level_idc=31:threads=auto

I'm resizing video from 1920:1088 down to 1280:720

Speed of encoding is really of no concern - I am more concerned with
preserving detail and smoothness of gradients. If this were Photoshop
and I was having trouble with banding in gradients on resizing a
picture, I'd add a low level amount of noise to the image before scaling
it down. I'm pretty sure that's a bad idea in video. ;)