[MEncoder-users] Audio / Video Sync issue

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 7 16:57:10 CEST 2008

Raimund Berger wrote:
> The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> writes:
>

>> karl-heinz-1950 at web.de wrote:
>>

>>> Result is for all versions the same, the video / audio is out of
>>> sync. It looks like that the lag between audio and video is constant
>>> and doesn't increase over time (in case that matters), I would say it
>>> is about 0.5 - 1s, you clearly see people moving the mouth and then
>>> you hear what they say, so sound is behind.
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>>>
>> Try the '-delay' option.
>>

> You must be joking. From film/tv to DVD production, all sources and
> intermediates contain accurate timing info. This includes his source
> material, considering that mpeg2 is clock synced. And now he should
> start guessing delays? Wow ...
The audio on a DVD does not necessarily start at the same time as the
video. Users of such Windows tools as DGIndex know this, as it puts the
audio delay value right in the name of the audio tracks are they are
demuxed. So no, no need to GUESS the delay, just a matter of determining
what the delay value is.