[MEncoder-users] problem with big files

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jun 6 12:43:03 CEST 2008

James Thomas Snell wrote:

> Yikes! Really? Because I have a number of AVIs I've been using that
> are well over 4gb that I've used for DVD creation projects that
> turned out okay - guess that means they're not actually AVIs or
> something.

Please don't top-post.

There is an extension to the AVI format, called OpenDML, which allows
for various things not supported by the original specification -
including files larger than 4GB. However, for it to work correctly, that
extension must be supported (and used) both at file creation time and at
file demuxing time. Many programs, specifically many players, do not
support OpenDML and so cannot correctly play OpenDML AVIs.

MPlayer and MEncoder can support OpenDML, both when muxing and when
demuxing. We do not presently have any idea whether or not the files 'a
a' is using are OpenDML AVIs or not, but because they are having
failures at the 4GB mark, the likelihood is that they are not.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.