[MEncoder-users] parsing m2ts files

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 6 06:42:53 CEST 2008

Corey Hickey wrote:
> James Hastings-Trew wrote:
>
>> Because of the decoder errors I encountered with m2ts files containing
>> h264 video streams (noted previously) I updated my mplayer and mencoder
>> to the latest versions. Unfortunately, the problem remains. Because of
>> this, I'm having to decode the video with an AviSynth script rather than
>> directly. Is there a problem with mplayer/mencoder's h264 decoder that
>> is not shared by the DirectShow decoder (default or ffdshow), because
>> when I use either of those decoders, all of the visual errors (smearing,
>> coloured macroblocks) vanish. AviSynth handling  is definitely not a
>> cross-platform solution, and is quite a bit slower than being able to
>> directly read the files.
>>

> I presume you will need to upload a file with which your problem may be
> reproduced. Unless somebody who has been paying more attention than I
> have says your problem is a known bug, follow the instructions here:

Ok, took a while to pull this together but here is a sample that
demonstrates the issue:

ftp://tools:gettools@planets.shacknet.nu/sample.zip

Now, you'll need to have avisynth installed, and presumably some sort of
h264 codec compatible with playing Blu-Ray discs through DirectShow. I
believe installing PowerDVD 8 (free demo version) will give you that.
There is a small batch file included that will let you see the same bit
of video with either decoder. You should see some smearing halfway
through the clip, and some macroblock errors near the end. This is a 30
second clip extracted untouched from the menu background of the SUNSHINE
blu-ray disc. The sample file is around 120 Mb.