[MEncoder-users] problem with big files

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 6 02:49:14 CEST 2008

a a wrote:
> James Hastings-Trew wrote:
>

>> May I ask where these large .avi files originated
>>
> from? If there is a
>
>> 4Gb limit on the .avi container itself, then whatever
>>
> step is making the .avi files that large to begin with
> would seem to be where the flaw is.
>
> As I mentioned in
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2008-May/008939.html
>
> my input files are resided on ext3 filesystem and this
> is not the cause of problem. The only size related
> cause of problem that i guess is that, in the encoding
> process from begining of input file to its end the
> encoding is being done regularly, until when encoder
> reaches the 4096M of its input file's size (and not
> the output file), at this point the encoding cuts. (
> and at this point the output file's size is about 3.1
> Mega Bytes.)
>
> Thus no problem is with the type of silesystem. The
> problem is inside of mencoder.

Presumably these oversized avi files did not arrive on your machine
unbidden. They came from somewhere, and if the spec for AVI limits file
size to 4Gb, regardless of what your file system can handle, then, by
definition, any AVI larger than 4Gb is broken.

http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html
"Standard AVI files can be up to 4 GB in size if other methods of
handling AVIs are used."

If you are the one creating these files, then you should probably use
some other container format than AVI, since it's not able to provide you
with what you need.