[MEncoder-users] divx v's x264

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 23:52:23 CEST 2008

Diogo Franco <diogomfranco at gmail.com> writes:

> Em Sex, 2008-06-06 às 05:34 +1000, Alex Samad escreveu:
>> My understanding is that cabac is an option that makes the resulting
>> file is more cpu intensive to decode, I have run into problems whilst
>> playing it on my xbox with XBMC
> It doesn't 'just' make the file 'more cpu intensive to decode', but has
> a much better compression efficiency. Unless you really want that cpu
> time, cabac will allow your file to be smaller than with cavlc.

He didn't say 'just'.

Entropy encoding (cabac/calvc) is one of the major knobs to turn if
processing load on the target should be minimized. And the price to
pay for (en/decoding) speed is almost always the same, i.e. higher
bitrate per quality. I wouldn't be surprised if he already guessed
that much.