[MEncoder-users] divx v's x264

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Wed Jun 4 13:05:33 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 03:28:55AM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:46:31 +1000
> Alex Samad <alex at samad.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I have encoded to divx and to x264, it seems like the x264 files are a
> > little bit bigger. and the quality (visual only) seems to be about the
> > same
>
> FMP4 isn't Divx, it's MPEG-4 (ASP, Part-2, etc.)

hmm, I thought I was doing divx (i am a newbie at this)
from man mencoder

mpeg4 MPEG-4 (DivX 4/5)

> You've set the same bitrate for FMP4 and x264 so you'll get the same
> file sizes no matter what.
I can understand that if they are the same

> That both look "about the same" might mean you're using a bitrate higher
> than either codec strictly needs...

My comment was more along the lines of I thought the divx was worse
quality at the same bitrate

> Also, doing postprocessing before encoding is basically always
> nonsense.
could you explain please

... Another writer again agreed with all my generalities, but said that as an
inveterate skeptic I have closed my mind to the truth.  Most notably I have
ignored the evidence for an Earth that is six thousand years old.  Well, I
haven't ignored it; I considered the purported evidence and *then* rejected
it.  There is a difference, and this is a difference, we might say, between
prejudice and postjudice.  Prejudice is making a judgment before you have
looked at the facts.  Postjudice is making a judgment afterwards.  Prejudice
is terrible, in the sense that you commit injustices and you make serious
mistakes.  Postjudice is not terrible.  You can't be perfect of course; you
may make mistakes also.  But it is permissible to make a judgment after you
have examined the evidence.  In some circles it is even encouraged.
		-- Carl Sagan, "The Burden of Skepticism"