[MEncoder-users] H.264 video encoding timing

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:12:31 CEST 2008

"Gawen ARAB" <gawen at gawgle.net> writes:

> Aoutch ! 1h for 10 minutes ! I don't even think to encode a full movie, it
> would take an half day, without 2 passes !!

Right, that's why you'll find page long discussions about parameter
choices all over the net (take the Doom forums, for example).

The main point to understand is that your parameter choice needs to find
a balance regarding

* picture quality
* (lowest possible) bitrate
* encoding speed

in view of your priorities. Beefing up one of those usually involves a
penalty on the others.

That said, half a day for a full movie on your kind of rig is what you
have to expect for a decent quality encoding of a full movie.