[MEncoder-users] H.264 video encoding timing

Gawen ARAB gawen at gawgle.net
Mon Jul 28 18:32:15 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm playing with mencoder and H.264 to generate flash readable video. Here
is my used params (i encode sound with an other tool) :

mencoder {input} -o {output.264} -vf scale={width}:{height} -ovc x264
-x264encopts
bitrate={videobitrate}:frameref=8:bframes=3:b_adapt:b_pyramid:weight_b:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:subq=6:trellis=2:brdo:threads=auto:pass={1
or 2}:analyse=all -of rawvideo -nosound

Firstly, I think I'm not the only one who wants to do that. Of course feel
free to use my params, and maybe to give me your params to improve the stuff
:)

And secondly, I just launched an encoding of the Elephant Dream movie (
http://orange.blender.org/the-movie). Attributes are 1280:720, videorate to
1200kbs, and it appears it would take about one hour for one pass for 10
minutes movie. My config is

   - Intel(R) Core(R) 2 Duo T7200
   -  4 Mo L2
   - 3 Go DDR2
   - Debian Etch
   - Last revision of x264 (compile with the assembler) and mencoder (with
   x264 support of course ...)

NB : Two threads are launched for encoding (two cores). So no problem with
multithreading.

Aoutch ! 1h for 10 minutes ! I don't even think to encode a full movie, it
would take an half day, without 2 passes !!

Is my configuration too limited ? Is there any problem with my binary ? Is
my configuration efficient ? Is that normal ?? Here is my question :)

I'm worrying ... :) Put me at rest.

Cheers

--
Gawen ARAB,