[MEncoder-users] mencoder apparently not obeying video bitrate settings

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jul 21 21:10:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 07:08:12AM -0600, Eric Anopolsky wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 03:28 -0700, tripp wrote:
> > > output (in particular, the video bitrate of the output is too low)
> >
> > you can force it,
> > vbitrate=8000:vrc_minrate=8000:vrc_maxrate=8000:vrc_buf_size=1835
> >
> > you'll get padding.
>
> Ok, this produces output of the expected size. I will burn it and test
> it later. Provided that this fixes the problem, I have another question:

That is not fixing the problem, it is just senselessly wasting bits.
As the test with vqscale=2 gives about the same size, the quality is
already _perfect_ at that low bitrate, the result is not going to get
any better by increasing the bitrate. You can use vqmin and lmin to
allow a slightly higher quality encoding, but it might not play in some
players then.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger