[MEncoder-users] mencoder and mediatomb

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Sat Jul 19 00:48:22 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Alex Samad wrote:

>>> I have come up with this as a real time command line for mencoder
>>>
>>> mencoder %in -o %out -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>> vcodec=mpeg2video -af volnorm

>> Encoding to MP3 with lame is certainly CPU-intensive, using aq=9 will
>> make it faster.

High values for aq don't seem to have very dramatic results with VBR
encoding.  Out of curiosity, I did some ad hoc benchmarking based on your
original encoding command and came up with the following (using the "all
defaults" user time as a reference):

                      Options                T/Tr
     -oac mp3lame                            1.000
     -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=9             0.954
     -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128       0.880
     -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=9  0.544
     -oac pcm                                0.439
     -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128:aq=9  0.437
         -lavcopts ...keyint=1
     -oac pcm -lavcopts ...keyint=1          0.333

> So I am guessing pcm would be eaier

If you have bandwidth to spare, go for it.