[MEncoder-users] moov atom at the begining...

Hradec hradec at hradec.com
Wed Jul 16 10:06:08 CEST 2008

HI there...

I was wondering if theres any way to tell ffmpeg to write the moov atom
at the begining of a mp4 instead of at the end.

I want to be able to encode avi files to mp4 and get a stream-ready
file. I know about qt-faststart, but I really need to be able to get the
file straight out of ffmpeg.

My idea is to actually make ffmpeg write the encoded video to a pipe and
use a script in parallel reading that pipe and sending it trough a
socket directly to a player. Basically "re-encoding" a file in realtime
for streaming. But the problem is that I need the moov atom at the
begining of the file so the player can start playing it right away.

If someone know where I can find more info about the moov atom (maybe
how it is constructed, what type of info is in it) I could maybe try to
create a "standard" atom that my script would automatically send to the
player before start sending the data...

any help would be much appreciated... thanks...

-H