[MEncoder-users] Mencoder on Opteron

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Jul 2 14:04:51 CEST 2008

On Wednesday, 02 July 2008 at 13:42, Adam Hammer wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a server (Amazon EC2) that has an Opteron
> dual core processor (when I do "mencoder" I get CPU: Dual-Core AMD
> Opteron(tm) Processor 2218 HE (Family: 15, Model: 65, Stepping: 3)).  I am
> trying to convert some .mpg files into .flv files, but when I do the audio
> is completely filled with static.  When I convert the same video on my home
> machine that is a Pentium 4, the audio is fine.

What is the exact command that you're using? Please post its output with -v
added to the command line. How was your mencoder binary built?

> I have the w32codecs installed on both machines.

64-bit mplayer/mencoder cannot use 32-bit Windows DLLs.

> My quesiton is: since I have a 64-bit architecture installed, do I have to
> go with the w64codecs?

That depends on whether your mencoder binary is 64- or 32-bit. In any case,
external binary codecs are not necessary to convert MPEG-1/2 to Flash Video.

> Or is there another change due to the 64-bit install
> that I should be making?

I don't think so.

Regards,
R.