[MEncoder-users] Video for YouTube, getting extremely low quality movies

Apple7777 applepro7777 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:10:51 CET 2008

tripp <eliared <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> you have unrealistic expectations.
> look into motion compensated framerate conversions, if you must,
> like using mvflowfps() of mvtools in avisynth.

I can't use them (I'd really like to use it), because I have Linux server. A
month ago I've tried to run Avisynth 3.0 for linux, but it doesn't work (it's
like pre-alpha), Avisynth 2.5 through Wine is too unstable and hard to
install/use solution. :(

> the source is plenty jerky,
> my encode is fine.
> don't change framerate if it displeases you.

It seems we use different players (I use VLC, Mac version). :) Your video is
fine, but it looks not so smooth as perfect 30 fps > 15 fps that can Adobe
Premiere do, for example. It seems mencoder can't do such perfect convertion.

BTW, original movie looks perfect. Maybe it's because I encoded it with Mac's
native format and playing it on Mac too (same story with WMV, if you play it on
Mac or Linux, you will have few problems).

>  you could use ffmpeg which doesn't output grey frames with the clip.
> you wouldn't have autoscaling then though, or filtering.
> plus the assesing another framerate conversion.

I've tried to use ffmpeg and I don't like two things in it.

First, it can't join two movies (I've alsotried to use pipes, but they didn't
work for me). Second thing is that ffmpeg doesn't do auto scale. For example, if
I will upload 720x480 movie and I will tell it to resize movie to 320x240, it
will resize it, but will NOT keep original aspect ratio ("long faces" problem).