[MEncoder-users] Web-Form to generate mencoder line (FYI)

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 27 15:00:15 CET 2008

Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Well...I just don't like that it assumes a DVD source in order to calculate
> video bitrate. It would be cool if one could enter the source-video
> dimensions so that it can calculate the video bitrate more accurate.

Calculating bitrate based on pixels per second (width x height x fps)
is, I've always been told, a bit "meh". It's a rule of thumb only. The
content of those pixels is a much larger determining factor than size
and framerate - grain, movement, contrast, and lighting are big factors
in compressibility. Also, bits per pixel calculations fail to take into
account that smaller scales need larger relative bitrate because each
pixel is more likely to be different from it's neighbors both spatially
and temporally at small scales.
> Also, it would be great that, apart from asking your desired filesize, it
> would ask for your desired quality (based on Bits/Px and without giving a
> damn about resulting filesize) and with this calculate the video bitrate.

If you don't give a damn about the filesize, why use bitrate? Use
quality instead. Or, if you need to specify bitrate because your
intended output device has max bitrate limits that you need to account
for, just give mencoder a great big whallop of bitrate that is less than
the limit of your output device. It'll only use what it needs.