[MEncoder-users] Apply filter when encoding DV avi file to xvid

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 27 14:49:29 CET 2008

Cédric MARCOUX (sprimont) wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> i'm using dvgrab to capture movie from my CamCorder DV
> I'm using mencoder to convert to xvid.
> I have noticed that avi created with dvgrab is good quality but when
> motion move I have some artifact (entrelaced line) and this not beautifull.
>
> So I was wondering if there a way to apply a filter when encoding my dv
> file to xvid?

You need to apply a de-interlace filter. This should be done as a first
filtering step (i.e. before any cropping or scaling). You can try a
simple linear blend (slightly softer image result): -vf pp=lb, or you
can try a fancier deinterlacer that tries to only affect the
"interlaced" parts of the image: -vf  yadif=0, or you can try an even
fancier one: -vf yadif=3,mcdeint.

Personally I use the linear blend - it's fast and gets the job done. I
often throw a little unsharp mask on the end of the filter chain to
compensate a bit for the softening effect.

Grozdan Nikolov helpfully provided this link in a recent post: