[MEncoder-users] Video for YouTube, getting extremely low quality movies

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jan 25 04:16:49 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 04:01:35PM +0000, Apple7777 wrote:
> Rich Felker <dalias <at> aerifal.cx> writes:
>
> > Again, 15 fps is utter shit. If you cannot see this, I envy you, but
> > please don't butcher other people's videos to this and harm the rest
> > of the world's eyes due to your blindness.
> >
> > Rich
> >

> Rich, 30 fps with low bitrate is much more shit. :) There was a vote where
> people could choose highest quality video between few test movies (but they were
> made with Adobe Premiere), so most people choose 448x336 movie with 15 fps.

Hardly sounds scientific. You won't even notice the resolution unless
there's basically no motion or else you pause. Just use 320x240 with
proper framerate. Low framerate is a sin against nature and will damn
you to the deepest circle of hell.

> Can someone tell me how to make high quality 30fps > 15fps with mencoder?

No. The naive way should work fine. If it doesn't that's because 15fps
is shit, not because you're doing it wrong. Perhaps Adobe Premiere is
lying about the 15fps, either using some VFR thing or who-knows-what..

Rich