[MEncoder-users] Script for h264 conversion for mencoder

Cameron Just lists.mplayerhq.hu at spam.phoenixdigital.com
Mon Jan 21 11:51:54 CET 2008

Unfortunately the many combinations I have tried will just not play on
the xbox 360... very annoying that they lock it down.

I tried
1. encoding just the video
C:\System\Apps\MEncoder2\mencoder.exe Test.mpg -o test-conv.avi -aspect
16:9 -passlogfile "x264-2pass.log" -nosound -ovc x264 -x264encopts
bitrate=350

2. encoding with defaults only
C:\System\Apps\MEncoder2\mencoder.exe Test.mpg -o test-conv.avi -aspect
16:9 -passlogfile "x264-2pass.log" -oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:br=128
-ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=350

Odd thing is that the xbox360 shows a preview image of the video but
when it comes to playing it an error saying

Can't play this content because it contains audio or video with an
unsupported codec. For more info, go to www.xbox.com/support.
Status code 80-C00DF242

Extremely annoying as I really would like to archive my videos so that
they can be read in a format compatible with the xbox 360... I can
convert them to xvids however I am trying to get as small a filesize as
possible and x264 does that perfectly for me....

I will try http://sourceforge.net/projects/h264enc as Grozdan suggested
and see what it tries to do for the 360 format....  unfortunately it is
written for a unix shell... might be able to decode what it does though...

If anyone knows of the correct command line arguments they would be
greatly appreciated.

Thankyou