[MEncoder-users] Xvid 1.1.2 and Sigma EM8621L

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 20 18:47:47 CET 2008

Cédric MARCOUX (sprimont) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is one week i'm trying to convert my avi file (dv capture from
> camcorder) to Xvid thus I can play it on my Freecom Mediaplayer 350 Wlan
> (chipset Sigma EM8621L)
>
> All conversion work and final avi work under vlc and totem aso.
> But not on my home player!?
> This one read a lot of avi file but not mine, i wonder why!?
>
> I have try to disable qpel and gmc but it don't change, here is the
> command I use:
>
>> mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr=320 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=2000:qpel=0:gmc=0 /data/video/ripped/*.avi -o /data/video/converted/converted.avi
>>

> Anyone have an idea???
>
> Regards,
>

> Cedric MARCOUX
Couple of things to try: Use -ffourcc DIVX or -ffourcc DX50, or -ffourcc
XVID. By default mencoder sets the ffourcc value of the .avi file to
something else (FMP4 or something) that a lot of media players simply
don't recognize as a valid value. Your audio bitrate is also set at a
value much higher than I would guess the source audio bitrate is. Try
something more reasonable like 160 or 192. And the lameopts look odd to
me, but maybe that's a legal way of setting the options. I'd try
-lameopts mode=0:cbr:br=192 . I don't use the xvid encoder so I have no
comment about your xvid encoding opts. Does xvid use bframes by default?
Some set top devices don't respond well to bframes in simple AVI files,
as they have insufficient buffer space in them.