[MEncoder-users] vbitrate

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Jan 19 03:53:46 CET 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 12:26:29AM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:00:02 +0100
> karl-heinz-1950 at web.de wrote:
>
> > is there some kind of conversion table/formula to find out the lowest
> > bit rate which gives the same quality?
>
> No.  That would be highly subjective, and highly variable, based on
> numerous encoding options that can be chosen.  It's a pretty safe bet,
> however, that older (and lower-numbered) codecs generally require
> somewhat higher bitrates.

Actually the issue is more than DVD video has bitrate constraints and
can't use extreme VBR. Purely on a codec basis, mpeg4 is barely better
than mpeg2. The problem is that the bitrate one's seeing for the mpeg4
is an average over the whole file, whereas individual scenes might
spike to 10x that bitrate. Profiles meant for crappy hardware like VCD
and DVD players have varying degrees of bitrate restraints which make
this sort of thing impossible.

> It would be helpful if you used a mailer that maintained threading when
> replying on this list.

Agree strongly. I still want a filter added to the list that rejects
messages with RE: in the subject but no In-Reply-To: header...

Rich