[MEncoder-users] WMV problems

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 06:12:09 CET 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:13:16 +0000 (UTC)
Steve St.Laurent <stevest at centurytel.net> wrote:

> I'm using the latest ffmpeg-devel out of the most recent freebsd ports
> collection.

How long has it been since you've run csup/cvsup?  See the handbook
if you don't know how.  The ffmpeg port was last updated 3 months ago.

> I tried the regular ffmpeg and that had problems compiling and it was
> suggested the -devel version.

ffmpeg-devel was *removed* 7 months ago.

> So do I just need to download the direct source and compile it?

That should work.

> Usually the ports collection is very good and up to date, the version
> is reported as "ffmpeg version CVS, build 3342336" - is this really 18
> months old?

ffmpeg hasn't even used CVS for quite some time...  Anything remotely
recent will say 'SVN'.

FreeBSD ports is decidedly NOT updated frequently, 3 months old is
pretty good for them, which is fine for most programs (ie. not ffmpeg
or MPlayer).  Perhaps more to the point, no port can be any more recent
than the last time you've updated the ports tree.