[MEncoder-users] Using ovc copy and container for Quicktime

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 15 17:43:18 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:48:52PM -0500, Patryk Laurent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have found using -ovc copy, a copy of a file that used to play in
> QuickTime doesn't play.  How can I preserve the quicktime-playability
> of the video?  Is there any way to use Mencoder to preserve the
> QuickTime container--if that's what's being lost?   The funny thing is

Most h264 uses B frames, and libavformat muxing (used for quicktime
output) ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT WORK WITH B FRAMES when using -ovc copy.
Of course you didn't even tell it to make a quicktime file so right
now you're making a .avi file...

If you need this functionality, try ffmpeg or another program.
MEncoder WILL NOT DO WHAT YOU NEED.

Rich