[MEncoder-users] Using ovc copy and container for Quicktime

Patryk Laurent patryk at pakl.net
Tue Jan 15 02:24:53 CET 2008

RC,

Hmmm...  I'm not sure I see your point. I intentionally selected those
log files to clearly provide information to help figure out what's
going on.  It sounds like you're claiming that there's something bad
about the AVI format for playing in QuickTime.  However, that's not
the case.  I have plenty of files that I have encoded with MEncoder
thusly:

mencoder source.m2t -ovc x264 -x264encopts
subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:qp=26:threads=auto
-vf mcdeint -oac mp3lame  -o target.avi

The resulting files are also of type AVI, yet they play fine in
QuickTime.  (I should probably add that I have installed Perian.)  So
the obvious point it looks like you're trying to make,  (that AVIs
cannot be played in QuickTime) is incorrect.

However, if there's something more subtle that you're trying to point
out, please elaborate -- I am very interested in figuring out a
solution to this issue.

If not, thanks anyway for giving me an opportunity to explain why I
pasted the output.  =)
Patryk