[MEncoder-users] Running Mencoder in Windows

Scott Calhoun scott.calhoun at ncode.com
Fri Jan 11 00:13:41 CET 2008

I have downloaded the Windows mencoder executable and am trying to run
it on a group of jpeg files to produce an avi. The cmd that I am running
from the Windows command prompt is:

mencoder "mf://MidwestHighway\*.jpg" -mf fps=10 -o output.avi -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

which is a very simple example in the documentation. Everytime I run
this cmd, mencoder dies with the:

mencoder.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience.

The last message dumped by the cmd prompt is:

Video stream:  -1.#IO kbits/s (-2147483648 B/s) size  0 bytes  0.000 sec

I do not know whether this is an error or normal status.

I have looked extensively on the web for this problem without success. I
know it must be something simple. Can anyone clue me in?

J Scott Calhoun
Director
Advanced Applications Center
nCode International