[MEncoder-users] PNGs from POV-Ray and stdin

SasQ sasq1 at go2.pl
Thu Jan 10 19:51:19 CET 2008

Dnia 10-01-2008 o 19:17:05 Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org>
napisał:

> I concur, PPM is the best format in this case. There is no need to waste
> time compressing and then decompressing PNG.

Good point.
So, if I use PPM and FFmpeg, would it be possible to compress using other
codecs than MPEG? [e.g. Xvid, DivX, FLV etc.], like I can in MEncoder?

> In the case of POV-Ray, there is another difficulty: POV-Ray is not able
> to output to a pipe. More precisely, it can write a single frame to
> stdout,
> but for an animation, it closes stdout after the first frame, and then
> fails
> to write the next ones.

Maybe try to use named pipe. I've tried this option too for those PNGs.

  $ mkfifo wormhole

and use it on one console for reading, an on the other for writing.

--
SasQ