[MEncoder-users] PNGs from POV-Ray and stdin

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Jan 10 19:17:05 CET 2008

Le decadi 20 nivôse, an CCXVI, Rich Felker a écrit :
> Yes, concatenating a sequence of png files is not valid or reasonable
> though. Try using ppm and ffmpeg's pnmpipe input. (There's absolutely
> no need for mencoder here; just use ffmpeg.)

I concur, PPM is the best format in this case. There is no need to waste
time compressing and then decompressing PNG.

In the case of POV-Ray, there is another difficulty: POV-Ray is not able to
output to a pipe. More precisely, it can write a single frame to stdout, but
for an animation, it closes stdout after the first frame, and then fails to
write the next ones.

I managed to work around this with a pre-frame and post-frame script which
creates and removes FIFO as needed. That is ugly.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George