[MEncoder-users] Encoding with x264 Jittery Result

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Tue Jan 1 15:51:04 CET 2008

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Reuben Budiardja wrote:

> I am actually not sure about the revision of the x264. I am using
> mencoder for Fedora 7 by Livna repository, and (assuming) the x264
> version by Livna also.
>
> $ rpm -q mencoder x264
> mencoder-1.0-0.81.rc2.lvn7
> x264-0-0.8.20061028.lvn7

Hmm, if I'm reading this right, you have an ancient x264.  The last
revision I checked out (a couple of days ago or so) was core 57, revision
714, or 0.57.714 if you do x264 --version.

> I think I will try to build my own mencoder and x264 library with the
> latest version and see how it goes. Thanks for the respond.

It's (almost?) always a good idea to build mplayer on the target system.
You pick up some optimizations and, besides, cross-compiling the darn
thing, even for a similar architecture, has always been a bit dodgy in my
experience.