[MEncoder-users] What is the most standard video format?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Feb 28 13:21:11 CET 2008

On Thursday, 28 February 2008 at 09:09, David Portabella Clotet wrote:
> >  David Portabella Clotet wrote:
> >  > Hello,
> >
> >  Hello - I don't understand the subject of your new email thread. Always
> >  best to create a new message and not just reply to something random.
> >
> >  > I have a video from my video camera, in .MP4 file format.
> >  >
> >  > I'd like to upload it to Picasa Web which accepts MPG, AVI, ASF, WMV, MOV,
> >  > and 3gp.
> >  > http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=23832
> >
> >  Try just renaming the .MP4 file to .MOV.
> >
> >  .MP4 file format is based on the .MOV file format and you might just get
> >  away with pretending your .MP4 is a .MOV.
> >
> >  Do let us know how you get on.
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> I tried to rename the .MP4 to .MOV, but Windows Media Player still
> does not play it.
>

> What is the most standard video format?
>
> I've tried an AVI file with no compression:
> > mencoder SANY0271.MP4 -o SANY0271.avi -of avi -oac pcm -ovc raw
> but Windows Media Player still does not play it.
> VLC plays it ok.
>

> and a MPEG1 as follows:
> > mencoder SANY0271.MP4 -o test.mpg -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video
> Windows Media Player plays it, but the video is all black without audio neither.

The default audio codec is IIRC ac3 (since you haven't specified one), so no wonder
WMP won't play it if it doesn't have an AC3 decoder installed.

> VLC plays it ok.

Because it has an AC3 decoder built-in.

> What is the most standard video format?
> one that Microsoft Media Player can play without additional codecs?

I wouldn't say that whatever WMP can play is "standard". It's rather
non-standard (as in: it can play undocumented proprietary formats only).

You might have some luck using wmv2 video codec and wma2 audio codec in ASF
container. But then FFmpeg is better at muxing to ASF than MEncoder.

Regards,
R.

PS. You're breaking threading and top-replying. Please stop doing that.
I've fixed quoting in your reply just this once.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org
oppression to develop psychic muscles.