[MEncoder-users] Creating Quicktime Compatible file with h264 codec

Reuben Budiardja reubendb at organizedhacks.com
Mon Feb 25 03:54:12 CET 2008

Hello,
I read the chapter in mplayer manual on this subject. It seems to me that
basically the idea is, 1.) get the raw h.264 file, 2.) mux it to the mp4
container.

I can do the former, but having trouble to do the latter. I looked at MPEG4IP
project, as suggested in the mplayer manual to mux to mp4 container. It seems
like it's abandoned. I get one of the older release file (1.5.0.1), and
cannot build it. Running the their bootstrap script give me error:
"Error - we have detected a version of faac that has libmp4v2 support
and no copy of mpeg4ip-config.  This means faac was built with
faad2 and the libraries will be incompatible.
Please reinstall faac without mp4v2 support"

Another option is the GPAC project. I can built in on 32-bit machine, but it
give me complain error with "unknown CPU archictecture" on one of their
pre-processor script on 64-bit machine. I sent an email about it to their
mailing list.

So, what is my other option ? Can mencoder create mp4 file for quicktime
compatibility with h264 encoding ?
I naively tried also just generate the .avi file from mencoder, and then use
ffmpeg as: "ffmpeg -i file.avi file.mp4". But I'm concerned as the resulted
mp4 file size is about half than the .avi file in this particular case that I
am trying. Am I missing something ?

Right now I only have video with no sound, so I don't worry about sound issue
(at least for now).

Thanks for any help.
RDB