[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Feb 22 22:07:19 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:52:13PM +0100, Ben wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>
> >  When you specified a bitrate of 349kbit/s
>
> Where did I do that?

The exact number does not matter for the point. Yes, I forgot to
subtract the audio bit rate from that.

> > and your video rate lowers
> >  that means that either 1) your codec sucks 2) you did not do two-pass
> >  and quality will probably be bad anyway.
>
> No, it means I have to change the command line to close in to the maximum.

That may be the reality since FFmpeg's rate-control is not always the
best, but the point of rate-control is that you get _exactly_ the
bitrate you specified (obviously this requires two-pass), there is no
need to change the command line, because you can get it right the first
time every time! (if rate-control works as it should, if it does not it
might well be worth trying to find out why).