[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:51:24 CET 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:28:35 +0100
Ben <jultus at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I put less keyframes in, the videorate lowers,

That's an entirely seperate problem (ratecontrol) that should be
resolved. You are NOT getting better quality with more key frames, in
this case, just a higher bitrate for no gain.

> http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=FLV_Video_Compression
> He prefers a keyframe every 2 seconds.

He says lots of things that are inaccurate...

MPEG compression is not "quite bad, a thing from the past."

FLV is not competitive with "WMV and MP4."

"ON2 VP6" is not competitive with "H.264."

With lossy video encoding, 4X the resolution does not require a bitrate
"about 4 times as large."

He also gives no reasons for using such a high number of keyframes.