[MEncoder-users] "High Quality" H.264 at low bit rates ;)

Gunter Ohrner G.Ohrner at post.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 22 21:09:43 CET 2008

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> I get near DVD quality with a bitrate of 1100-1400... H.264 really shows

Mh... Do you reduce the video resolution? (I don't.)

> out http://h264enc.sourceforge.net which has 38 different presets - use

Ok, thanks for the tip, I'm just doing that at the moment.

> quality of your encodes in dark flat areas, then get the adaptive
> quantization patch for x264 and patch & recompile x264

Maybe that could help, my test material is gray scale video.

The main problem I have is that originally detailed surfaces like skin in
the human face lose all detail and get a blurred mess in the recoded
videos.

Greetings,

  Gunter