[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Fri Feb 22 16:48:34 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 04:42:53PM +0100, Ben wrote:
> >  > The result nonetheless has 29.970 fps, according to Gspot and Mediainfo.
> >
> >  Because of crappy software showing you rounded/truncated numbers.
>
> LOL, 29.981 isn't exactly a rounded number (which is what G-Spot gives),
> I'd say 30.000 is a rounded number, rather.
>
> >  30000/1001 is NOT 30.
>
> Because?

Because the NTSC standards are ridiculous and are off by 1 like this.
DVD movies are 24000/1001 frames per second, and 720p is 60000/1001
frames per second.

I'll bet on Wikipedia you can find the exact reason for this, I'm
sure it will be similar to how they came up with 4:3 screen sizes;
it was just an arbitrary number that someone picked.