[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:35:37 CET 2008

Rich Felker wrote:
> This is incorrect. The correct value is 30000/1001.

Rich, I'm totally NOT arguing - simply curious.

The difference between 29.97 and 30000/1001 is one in a million
(literally). Just to give some scale to this, if Ben used the wrong
value for his 16,380 frame movie, the last frame would be "mis-timed" by
about 1.638% of a frame. Since people frequently send out 24p content at
PAL rates by squishing the audio and getting away with it, this doesn't
seem like much. Similarly, if you had a TEN HOUR video, and coded the
video at 29.97 and the audio at 30000/1001 you would be "out of synch"
by a whopping (read: barely noticeable!) 36ms at the end of it.

So why is it such a big issue? The only possibility that I can think of,
is that there is a comparison in software which says "is the frame rate
the same" and you could falsely decide "different" when actually "same"
would be correct.

--
Andy