[MEncoder-users] yet another a/v sync question

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:30:55 CET 2008

Hello,

I know than a/v sync in Mencoder has already been discussed many times here,
but I'm still not sure of how (un)reliable it should be regarded, and in
which specific conditions.

I understand that :
- Mencoder muxing is closely related with the AVI container
- Mencoder estimation of a/v drift may be incorrect (always, or in some
conditions ? I'm not sure...)
- Mencoder should not be used to output to other container than AVI as a
general rule

My question is about the options "-mc 0 -noskip". Assuming an input mpeg2
program stream with correct a/v sync, it is safe to use "-mc 0 -noskip" to
recompress, or does Mencoder can still mess up the a/v sync ?

I have used many times "-mc 0 -noskip" (on input files with correct a/v
sync) without experiencing broken sync in the resulting files. Is it just
because i was lucky, or because of the nature of the input files ? I don't
know...

Regards,

Pierre