[MEncoder-users] Telecine and B frames for DVD

Walter R. G. Hachmann walter.hachmann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 15:48:01 CET 2008

Rich Felker escreveu:

>>> Probably.. Can you try with max_b_frames=1 and any other variants you
>>> can think of?
>>>
>>> Rich
>>
>> Hi, Rich
>>
>> I repeated the tests with vmax_b_frames=1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. The
>> interesting thing is that the problem arises with 2, 4 and 5 B frames,
>> but not with 1, 3 and 6. With 6, I start to have additional problems
>> when muxing (mplex error messages). I also tested it again with
>> vmax_b_frames=2 and mbd=2, but the same problem happened again.
>
> OK, I suspect the mpeg muxer was only tested with 1 B frame...
> Hopefully nico or someone will pick up on this report and fix the
> issue but for now I think your best bet is to stick to 1. IIRC this is
> what most commercial discs do anyway and it might even be part of the
> (not-so-strictly-followed) DVD spec. Most of the old PSNR tests done
> with mencoder also showed the best results with only 1 B-frame, I
> think.
>
> Rich

Ok, let's wait the DV guys. I wanted to use 2 B frames just because most
of the commercial DVD's I've seen used the sequence IBBPBBPBBP...
But, after several tests, with bitrates ranging from 1500 to 6000 kbps,
I couldn't see any improvement from using B frames. As a matter of fact,
by including "psnr" in the lavcopts chain the numbers got even worst
then with no B frames at all, although the differences are usually
smaller than 0.3 dB.

Thanks,

Walter