[MEncoder-users] Error reading audio: Input/output error

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Dec 21 22:40:25 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 18:23:44 -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
> Alsaconf did the trick here. Apparently alsa wasn't configured before.
> Strange, as I had sound.
> Just to leave it here for future reference.

Let me confirm. Alsa is quite complex :-) and requires a lot of
attention to detail.

I do this in a script before recording TV:

amixer -c ${CARD} set Capture cap
amixer -c ${CARD} set Capture 8%
amixer -c ${CARD} set Capture unmute
amixer -c ${CARD} set Line cap
amixer -c ${CARD} set Line 30%
amixer -c ${CARD} set Line unmute

(Card is "0" for my onboard audio.)

Note that I unmute the capturing and set its volume, which is
independant of "Line" (which is playback through the PC's speakers)
which is already unmuted by default.

Moritz