[MEncoder-users] Error reading audio: Input/output error

Bruno Buys bruno.grupos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 17:22:02 CET 2008

Hi people,
I have the exact same problem recording from mencoder as this user:

http://www.itdp.de/mplayer-users/2006-07/msg00051.html

Its a debian sid system with both 2.6.26-686 and 2.6.18-6-k7. The tv card is
a saa7134-based. I have no oss installed here, only alsa. The audio out of
the tv card plugs in the line in of the audio card (via vt8237 onboard).
The computer is a AMD Sempron 3400+ with Abit KV8 Pro mobo, socket 754. No
new fancy hw.

Watching tv with both tvtime and mplayer works flawlessly.

The mencoder line that used to work is:

mencoder -tv
driver=v4l2:chanlist=us-cable:channel=3:normid=9:input=0:outfmt=i420:mjpeg
-ovc lavc -lavcopts  vbitrate=1400 -oac twolame  -o $HOME/tv.avi tv://

Its actually a simplified version, as I have tried lots of slightly
different lines, with varying parameters, to no avail. The first working
lines had more lavcopts settings and video filters. Always worked, and for a
long time. Now, all I get is:

...(cut)...
VDec: vo config request - 352 x 288 (preferred colorspace: Planar I420)
VDec: using Planar I420 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
videocodec: libavcodec (352x288 fourcc=34504d46 [FMP4])
Selected video codec: [rawi420] vfm: raw (RAW I420)
ae_twolame, 1 audio channel, forcing mono mode
Forcing audio preload to 0, max pts correction to 0.
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.
Pos:   0.0s      1f ( 0%)  0.00fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.000 [0:0]
Error reading audio: Input/output error

After a while video buffer gets full, frames dropped, etc etc. Need to kill
mencoder.

It's so weird. How come it works and then it suddenly doesn't?

I have also tried with both mencoder from debian packages and cvs/svn
downloaded and compiled, the exact same error happens.

Thanks everybody for any ideas!