[MEncoder-users] upmixing to ac3 from 2ch mp3

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Sat Dec 13 02:12:01 CET 2008

Hi

I am trying to achive 2 things volnorm an input video and change it from
2ch to 5.1 AC (or FAAD)

I have tried this

mencoder -ovc copy  -channels 6 -af
sub,center,surround=15,channels=6,volnorm -oac lavc -lavcopts
acodec=ac3:abitrate=384
QofS.avi -o
QOfS-ac3.avi

but when i play the file I get the front L+R but nothing from
the center, base or surround sound

also tried this

mencoder -ovc copy -oac faac -faacopts object=2:tns:mpeg=4:br=448  -af
channels=6,volnorm=2,sub,center,surround=15
QofS.avi -o
QOfS.avi

same result ?

I remember a couple of years ago, the way to do it was to strip out the
pcm and use sox to create the 6 channels and then remux that back into
the avi. Is that still the case ????

MPlayer dev-SVN-r26940

thanks
Alex