[MEncoder-users] rotate an MP4 by 90 degrees

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 10:20:34 CET 2008

On 11 Dec 2008, at 14:54, Daniel Kirsten wrote:
> I tried
>
> gmplayer -vo yuv4mpeg:file=output.y4m -vf rotate=3 example.mp4
> yuv4mpeg < output.y4m > output.mp4
>
> Something went wrong...   the original file is 103Mb large,
> output.y4m and output.mp4 are 5600 Mb large.
>
> gmplayer output.mp4 flickers and has a wrong aspect ratio,
> sound is missing.

I would try to get the flickering / aspect ratio sorted, and then the
file size shouldn't be too much trouble (it should merely be a matter
of setting the bitrate, perhaps doing two passes).

I'm confused as to why you're calling `gmplayer` instead of `mplayer`.
I haven't used `gmplayer` but would assume from the name that it's a
GUI front-end from the accursed Gnome. I think you should be running
`mplayer` from the command line in a terminal window, so that you get
useful CLI output which you can post back here.

Stroller.