[MEncoder-users] rotate an MP4 by 90 degrees

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 13:53:52 CET 2008

On 11 Dec 2008, at 12:14, Daniel Kirsten wrote:
> what is the best solution to rotate an MP4 by 90 degrees
> (without loss of quality)?    I know gmplayer can rotate the
> MP4,  but  I want to have a rotated file.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but from `man mplayer`:

VIDEO FILTERS
        Video  filters allow you to modify the video stream and its
properties.
        The syntax is:

        -vf <filter1[=parameter1:parameter2:...],filter2,...>
               Setup a chain of video filters.

        Available filters are:

        rotate[=<0-7>]
               Rotates the image by 90 degrees and optionally  flips
it.   For
               values  between  4-7 rotation is only done if the movie
geometry
               is portrait and not landscape.

                  0    Rotate by 90 degrees clockwise and flip
(default).

                  1    Rotate by 90 degrees clockwise.

                  2    Rotate by 90 degrees counterclockwise.

                  3    Rotate by 90 degrees counterclockwise and flip.

I haven't tried any of these in mencoder, but if they only work in
mplayer then you may be able to do something like dumpfile - I think
there's a -vo to save as a file instead of display to the screen.

Stroller.