[MEncoder-users] dark vobsub subtitles

Everett Carmody everettcarmody at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 10:04:40 CEST 2008

hello--

I wrote recently inquiring about an issue with dark vobsub subtitles,
ripped from a dvd, which were supposed to be light. (using -vobsubout
in mencoder.)  I resolved the problem myself, and I thought it was
because I upgraded to the latest svn of mplayer. Now I think that the
reason the problem was resolved was that the second time I ripped the
subtitles directly from the dvd, and the first time I had dumped the
dvd stream to my hard drive using mplayer's -dumpstream option, and
ripped the subtitles from that.

I got dark subtitles again, from a different dvd, with mplayer's
stream dump.  So I tried ripping direct from the dvd, and the
subtitles were perfect.

Maybe this can be addressed by the mplayer development team?  I
thought I would pass on my experience, in case it's never come up.