[MEncoder-users] zoom to fit resolution

John Deas john.deas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:30:04 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am new to mencoder and I would like to be able to zoom on any movie source
I want to export to have it at an exact resolution, whatever the aspect
ratio and original resolution. The purposed behavior would be:
- if all dimensions are below the target resolutions, zoom until one
resolution match the target (and thus kep the original aspect ratio)
- if all dimensions are above the target resolutions, unzoom until one
resolution match the target
- if one is above and one is below, unzoom until the resolution above match
the target resolution

I know the problem might be trivial, and one of the most common for
newcomer, but I have failed to understand how to achieve it.

Among other things, I have tried this command line :

mencoder -quiet -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of lavf -lavcopts
aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=libfaac:vbitrate=768:abitrate=128
-lavfopts format=mp4 -vf expand=:::::1.5,scale=480:320,harddup -o

but it is not working every time: in some movies part of the image is
duplicated on one side. And it encodes black bands that I would not like to
include in the image.

Thank you for having read my problem,

JD