[MEncoder-users] V210 10-bit 422 Output

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 07:31:24 CEST 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:50:38 -0700
Larry Reznick <lreznick at idistream.com> wrote:

> I have v210-encoded video. I'm trying to get 10-bit YUV422P out of it.

The first sentence of your message should have been "I've added a VFW
codec to MPlayer to handle V210 video."  That would have saved me a few
minutes figuring out WTH was going on here...

> I can get 8-bit 422p if I use the "-vf yuy2" option. If I don't use a
> -vf option at all, I get 32-bit RGBA output, but v210, used by the AJA
> board, delivers 10-bit, as the codec's identifier points out. MPlayer
> can play that output file, but it's not the 10-bit 422p I was hoping
> for.

That would be because you told MPlayer to only ever use BGR32 with
that DLL when adding support for it.  If you specify any other format,
it will be converted, in software (from BGR32).

> I can't see any way  to deliver 10-bit frames in the documentation.
> Can you suggest what I'm  overlooking or is 10-bit YUV422P not
> supported as MEncoder output?

No, it isn't.
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-May/029069.html

So far, you haven't given any reason why you would want or need it.