[MEncoder-users] Recording a video from a ivtv tv-card (Hauppauge PVR 150)

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 10:38:33 CEST 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:35:48 +0200 (CEST)
saedelaere at arcor.de wrote:

> I think mencoder has got two big advantages.
> First it provides the endpos option. Which is very usefull.

MEncoder's -endpos option is reasonably useful with files, as it is
necessary to demux the video to determine times.  With realtime capture,
however, the system clock is just as accurate as MEncoder.

> Second later the user should be able to recode the video while
> recording. Ok this could be done in a second step. Hmm

That would:
  defeat the purpose, and added expense, of an MPEG capture card.
  add more processing (decoding) time than a raw YUV card.
  mean substantially decreased quality vs, a raw YUV card.