[MEncoder-users] Continuous stream encoding

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Aug 12 10:03:40 CEST 2008

Gawen ARAB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Firstly sorry for my poor english :)
>
> I'm a new user of mencoder and I'm fascinated by all options he provides.
>
> I would know if it was possible to encode, or more precisly trancode a
> continuous video or audio stream without many latency.
First try to transcode 60 secs of your stream and look how long it takes
with your computer. Then you know how many computers you need to be able
to transcode at 25fps.
As an example to transcode BBC HD material I get a transcode-rate of
2-3fps per cpu-core, so  I will at least need 10 dual-core computers to
get 25fps. It all depends on transcode parameters, resolution and
quality to get faster/slower performance.
  For example to