[MEncoder-users] Recording a video from a ivtv tv-card (Hauppauge PVR 150)

Saedelaere saedelaere at arcor.de
Mon Aug 11 17:49:02 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'am using the following command to record videos from a ivtv tv-vard
(Hauppauge PVR 150) on openSUSE 10.3.

mencoder /dev/video0 -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:vaspect=4/3 -oac
copy -ovc copy -endpos 00:10:00 -o ~/test.mpeg

Now I got one question. Is mencoder using a software encoder to recode
the video or is it using only the build in hardware mpeg encoder.
The problem is when recording a video via mencoder the process has an
approximate cpu load of 4%.
Using a simple cat command (cat /de/video0 > test.mpeg) causes a cpu
load of less than 1%.
I got a quite fast cpu so on a system with less power this could be a
serious problem. Is this because mencoder uses a software encoder in
this case?

Best Regards
Christian